Sunday, August 2, 2015

Day 179 - Land Crabs

Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in My Weakness for His Strength - # 148
         
Michael’s book is available through:

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com

Notice:  this email is part of a BLOG, called Living Life With a Capital “C”Why a blog?  So that many can receive the weekly thoughts I express on Michael’s writings in an easy manner. 



In this day’s writing, Michael draws our attention to the fallacy of trying to figure out God apart from some simple truths that will never change.  Has your experience with God been something you could “systematize”?



DAY 179
 
Land Crabs

Who knows, God may turn and relent . . . --Jonah 3:9

I was once told that I had bad theology. My response was, “Of course.” Theology is the knowledge of God, and I would imagine that my knowledge is lacking in several areas. All I know of God for certain is what I see in Jesus; apart from Him I know very little, and what I claim to know is probably wrong. It is somewhat like the little boy who was asked by his grandmother, “What are you drawing?” 
“I am drawing God,” he responded. 
“But no one knows what God looks like!” she exclaimed. 
“They will when I finish,” he declared. 
Many proclaim with a similar confidence exactly what God is like. However, the longer we listen, the more we learn about the theologian and the less we actually learn about God. One brother asserted at a meeting, “I am not against theology; I have just, personally, had enough to last me until Jesus returns.”

I have always found the land crab interesting. He looks for a shell to move into, protects it with his life, eventually will find he has outgrown it, and so casts it off in search of a more suitable shell in which to hide. He never destroys the old one that is no longer good enough for him. Theology is just like that shell. With our eyes on the Lord we will always outgrow that in which we formerly took comfort, security, and pride. We are not crabs, though, and I wonder if we should not destroy the old rather than leaving it for someone else to put on, knowing all along that in the end it will be too small of an explanation for God. I suppose, though, that we all grow incrementally more than by leaps and bounds.
           
The Jews had God all figured out. It was simple: all prostitutes were to be put to death. But . . . then He told Hosea to marry one. The scribes and Pharisees knew it all, being experts in theology: the adulterous were to be stoned. They brought one such woman to the Living Word and found they had gotten it all wrong! Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go your way. From now on sin no more” (John 8:11). Theology seems to be something that we will always outgrow, but there are simple truths about God that we can always grow into. God is love! He is gracious! He shows mercy! And God is full of compassion! This type of shell is worthy of leaving behind for others and never destroying. 

Yellow – VIP, Very Important Point      Green – IT, Incredible Truth        
Red – GP, Greatest Promises
Turquoise – UR, Unfathomable Riches           Pink – PV, Priceless Victory


Michael gives us an absolute in his statement, “All I know of God for certain is what I see in Jesus.”  And then he gives us something that can guide us all the days of our life, “With our eyes on the Lord we will always outgrow that in which we formerly took comfort, security, and pride.”

Like a land crab, we need to grab the shells of Truth about God that we can always grow into.  And these we can always find Life in.



To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Living Life With a Capital “C” by logging onto www.leemccm.blogspot.com 

NOTICE: another blog on Michael Wells’ book, Sidetracked In The Wilderness, called Getting Out of the Wilderness.  You can access by logging onto www.leemcchristianministries.blogspot.com


Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
(twitter) @bleemc67    (email) leemccm@gmail.com

P. O. Box 633244    Nacogdoches, Tx 75963                                    936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment