Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 48 - Christians and Pain

Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in My Weakness for His Strength - # 133
         
Michael’s book is available through:

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com

Notice:  this email is part of a BLOG, called Living Life With a Capital “C”Why a blog?  So that many can receive the weekly thoughts I express on Michael’s writings in an easy manner. 


Michael points out one of the greatest benefits of being a Christian: WE have the LORD to rely on.  Therefore we do not have to experience what others without Christ have no hope against.


DAY 48

Christians and Pain

Our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. --Romans 8:18

The question often arises, "Are Christians supposed to suffer, to experience difficult times, and generally to find themselves unhappy?" Pain and suffering are realities common to all of mankind. The believer and unbeliever alike suffer outwardly from nature, the physical body, or from others, but a believer does not have to experience destructive inward suffering such as that which plagues those who do not know Christ. Christians have suffered calamities common to everyone in the world but not necessarily reacted in a like manner, whether with depression, anger, frustration, or discouragement. Life seems to deal its blows without partiality, and yet response is varied, depending on the inner attitude of the sufferers. It has been said that what becomes of us in the long run depends upon what life finds in us! Suffering leaves some bitter and others sweet! In the mountains it is not uncommon to see a half-dead aspen tree. The sun that shines on all of the branches brings increased life to some and quickened decay to the others, depending on what is inside the branch. Like the sun, suffering leaves some persons withered and weak while others, because of the life within, are stronger and more prepared for any amount of suffering.  
           
I remember discipling two women, each one suffering at the hand of an unfaithful husband who sought to justify his behavior by picking his wife apart. One woman became absolutely radiant through her suffering, for she found Christ to be her ally and her all; the other became bitter and, to be honest, quite ugly as her inward stress disfigured her. Two women undergoing the same event displayed different reactions. One possessed an inner life that had met rejection and overcome with love; the other had not drawn from the source of her inner life and had been overcome by the rejection. As a believer, I cannot always determine what happens to me, but I can direct how it will affect me. If I am driven to reliance on the Lord, then the event will make me happy and more useful, bringing me to a fuller life. Events of life can either make me common or spiritually alive. I need never deal with pain on a human level; I bring God into my pain, for He can take what appears to be senseless suffering and turn it into a fountain of spiritual life. Suffering can have its roots in evil, but the issue is not really the basis from which it came but where it is permitted to take me. Placing God in the center of pain allows Him to guide me to deeper life. The cross is the perfect example of God-guided pain, where great suffering became life, not only to Christ, but also to millions.

Yellow – VIP, Very Important Point      Green – IT, Incredible Truth        
Red – GP, Greatest Promises
Turquoise – UR, Unfathomable Riches           Pink – PV, Priceless Victory


Michael draws our attention to that “inner life” (the Life of Christ) that provides the wherewithal to be the “overcomer” that God tells me I am. That word, “overcomer,” is a beautiful term, isn’t it?!? 

Oh, that we would always remember: “As a believer, I cannot always determine what happens to me, but I can direct how it will affect me.”  Whew!!!  Wow!!!  Would to God that He would make that one of the first thoughts that crosses my mind every time I encounter one of those moments/events that try to bring “destructive inward suffering.”

I would suggest we need to “soak” on the last 7 sentences of Michael’s writing today, over and over and over.  The result: “spiritually alive!”



To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Living Life With a Capital “C” by logging onto www.leemccm.blogspot.com 

NOTICE: another blog on Michael Wells’ book, Sidetracked In The Wilderness, called Getting Out of the Wilderness.  You can access by logging onto www.leemcchristianministries.blogspot.com


Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
(twitter) @bleemc67    (email) leemccm@gmail.com

P. O. Box 633244    Nacogdoches, Tx 75963                                        936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment