Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 21 - Be Convinced In Your Own Mind

Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in My Weakness for His Strength - # 80
         
Michael’s book is available through:

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com



This is a particularly interesting day’s writing from Michael Wells…simple, yet profound.  Not so much theology, but plenty of practicality that takes our theology and shows it to be REAL.  There isn’t much reality to anyone’s theology where there is a lack of being convinced in what one believes.  Read carefully what Michael has to say, and then ask yourself: Am I convinced in my own mind of that which I believe?  Of course, we are assuming I am starting with biblical truth to believe…


Day 21

Be Convinced in Your Own Mind


One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind. --Romans 14:5

Whatever you are doing and whatever you believe, be convinced in your own mind that it is right. There are many beliefs that I hold because fact and faith have met at a point called truth; I am convinced of such beliefs and will not budge from them. I do not make any of them a test of fellowship except for those that center directly in Jesus. He was the Word that became flesh, it was the Father working through Him, and He did take my sin and my old self to the cross, thereby conquering sin, Satan, the world, death, captivity, and hell; and He ascended to the Father, where He remains alive today. There are many more things surrounding Him of which I am convinced. The important thing for a believer is that he be convinced in his own mind. This is precisely why I will not make decisions for people but rather stand beside them as they make the choices, some of which are very difficult. Once, because I said nothing against an abused woman seeking a divorce (in reality, she never ended the marriage; he did through years of abuse), I was accused of promoting divorce. First, I have given much of my life to the hope that God would work through my words as I advised couples in order to prevent divorce, but it is true that I did not tell the woman to get a divorce or not to get one. Am I the one that will stand before God for her actions? Do I know all of the issues? Do I presume to understand all the workings of God in a life? Though God said to stone the adulteresses, He had His man, Hosea, marry one! Believers need to hear God and be convinced in their own minds. I want them still to be convinced in their own minds five years from now. If God has spoken to them, who am I to tell them that they cannot hear His voice? “But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God. So then each one of us shall give account of himself to God” (Romans 14:10, 12). On another occasion I was asked why I did not work harder to stop a divorce. I just looked at the person and said, “I am not for divorce. However, neither am I for child abuse, drugs in the home, verbal abuse, causing little ones to stumble, thievery, lying, or adultery. In this situation, how did you come to the conclusion that out of all the variety of sins the husband was bringing into the family, the primary consideration was that the woman was guilty of divorce?” I suppose that we pick out one sin, the one failure that we have not had, label it as being the most important, and camp there in order to lay claim to self-righteousness. I am not favorable toward any failure; however, a true cross-section of the Church proves that these things occur. One man actually had the hide to tell me this: “If my wife really believes what you are telling her--that she can wait on God to see how He uses this present situation in her life--then she should not mind if I move my girlfriend into our basement apartment. I will sleep three nights a week with my wife and four with my girlfriend until I decide which one I want to be with.” I nearly went off beam at his using the wonder of God’s “causing all things for good” as an excuse to sin! I gave him an earful, but later, when she said she was divorcing, I kept silent. I only asked that she be convinced in her own mind.

Whatever you do, be convinced in your own mind that you have heard Him and are moving with Him. He is the issue. If you listen to others you will only be confused. “Brother, you are disregarding the Scriptures!” Well, may that never be! It is just that I put them in a different order when looking at them. I first go to the Scriptures that deal with cause and then consider consequence. Divorce is a consequence of a cause. If the man were not drunk and beating his family, would the suggestion of divorce ever come up? You who hate divorce, are you willing to commit to ceasing your condemnation of the one who sees that as the only way out and to taking time to disciple the man, taking responsibility for his actions? I did not think so; you are just comfortable judging an easy target. On the other hand, I have witnessed God do wonderful things in those prepared by Him to have humble and broken hearts. Those, no matter how bad marriage got, never were convinced in their own minds to leave, and that conviction bore a different fruit. I am just happy that it is not my place to pretend to sort things out; I leave that to God. 

Yellow – VIP, Very Important Point      Green – IT, Incredible Truth        
Red – GP, Greatest Promises
Turquoise – UR, Unfathomable Riches           Pink – PV, Priceless Victory


One of the first things Michael points out: Christianity is individuality…each one of us is responsible for OUR salvation.  No one ever is a Christian just because someone else is.  And no one can blame anyone else for making, or not making, choices for them.  I must make my own choices.  I must be convinced in my mind what I believe and make choices based on my beliefs.  I am responsible.

James tells us to not be double-minded (actually the Greek says double-souled…which brings up another discussion for another time).  Truthfully we are double-minded, but James is talking about “making up which mind we are going to function with…make up that mind.”  And Michael gives some beautiful advice that Barbara and I have operated with for many years now: don’t make decisions for people, but stand beside them as they make their choices.

Two other things are very important for us to glean from Michael…(1) “If God has spoken to them, who am I to tell them that they cannot hear His voice?”  Absolutely!  Goodness, Jesus Himself told us every sheep (Christian) HEARS His voice.  Why do so many Preachers and Christian counselors negate our GOOD SHEPHERD speaking to each sheep by trying to tell the sheep what they should be thinking, instead of telling them: go spend time with your Shepherd until you hear His voice and are convinced in your mind of His truth.  (2) “I have witnessed God do wonderful things in those prepared by Him to have humble and broken hearts.”  Wow!  How could we ignore, or negate, someone “PREPARED BY HIM TO HAVE a HUMBLE AND BROKEN HEART”?!?  Michael is so right…God is in the “preparing” business.  This should be the message, if anything other than “go spend time with your Shepherd,” that anyone tells a Christian: James says in 4:6, “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”  Deal with your pride, and get humble…then go spend time with your Shepherd.  Well, amen.

To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Living Life With a Capital “C” by logging onto www.leemccm.blogspot.com   Look to the top right hand side of the page, enter your email address in the box under “Follow,” then click on SUBMIT.  You will receive a “confirmation email,” and when you click on the link and “confirm,” you will receive all new posts via email.

NOTICE: a new blog on Michael Wells’ book, Sidetracked In The Wilderness, called Getting Out of the Wilderness.  You can access by logging onto www.leemcchristianministries.blogspot.com


Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
leemccm@gmail.com

P. O. Box 633244    Nacogdoches, Tx 75963                                        936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment